Friday, September 7, 2012

251 of 365 Manitoba Legislative Building

We drove by the Manitoba Legislative building on our way home from a very relaxing supper with my brother John and sister-in-law Mary. I had to stop and get a photo from the car. This is a very impressive building built in 1913 to 1919 with the desire that it would be built “not for present delight nor use alone... but such as our descendants will thank us for.”
Thank you!
There on top is the "Golden Boy" facing north.

Brass actually but gilded in 23.5 C gold, carries the torch in one hand and a sheaf of wheat in the other. He is 17 feet tall and weigh about 5 tons.
How do I know all this you ask? 

Well I was a tour guide of the Legislative buildings three summers in a row during high school and my first years of university. That was a loong time ago - one degree, one husband, 4 kids and 4 grandchildren ago actually. 
A great summer job!
Bet ya didn't know that about me. :) 




But I am also sharing my still life photo I took moments before leaving John and Mary's house thinking I needed my 365. I am loving this one! Just couldn't decide tonight.


 

3 comments:

  1. "Golden Boy, Golden Boy,
    With your proud head held high!
    In you we have a trusting friend
    and will have till we die!"

    Do you know that song? Every time I hear anyone mention the Golden Boy it starts off in my head! (Went to school in Winnipeg for grades 2 - 4, I won't say how many years ago :)

    I really like the still life photo, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dale! No, I have not heard that song and I grew up in Wpg. You have a very good memory! I am liking the still life too - but was torn .....so I had to post both. I've broken the 365 rules a few times. :)
    I will try to get the few photos of the grand babies on the web gallery today. :) Our time with them was limited to a couple of hours - most of it Jane was sleeping in the wrap, out getting weighed or eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for the apples - I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete